DisplayPort 1.3 to Support 8K and Dual 4K (4K 3D)
Join Today
+ Reply to Thread
    Super Moderator
    Thanks

DisplayPort 1.3 to Support 8K and Dual 4K (4K 3D)

All in all, if all of these features get implemented in the DisplayPort 1.3 standard, we are going to be in for a world of awesome. This will not only enable some great display resolutions, but solve a lot of problems that DisplayPort 1.2 didn't address. I have always been a champion of DisplayPort and its overall utility and usefulness, and since the HDMI 2.0 update, it proves that the working group style of standards really results in a better more forward-thinking standard.
    Source

Its in the works, but these are some features they are looking to add. In addition to HDMI 2.0 becoming official not too long ago, and USB working on a new, reversible connector, it seems things are finally moving towards where they should be in 2013.
    What's cookin, good lookin?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Images
    The question I have now, which I don't know the answer to, is whether there is similar action being taken on the pixel clock side of things to take advantage of said bandwidth. Considering how little pixel clock limits have changed over the past decade with the exception of the recent unlock by Nvidia, a 4K 3D display would be absolutely amazing. Definitely something to get excited about and look forward to.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would think it would have to, and as the article says, the bandwidth on the cable is supposed to reach ~30gbps. Astounding, given that HDMI 2.0 is about half that. So, again, with royalty fees and all that...why are we using HDMI instead of DP?

Why do we even use any other cables? Suck it HDMI and USB, DP is where it's at!

Booya! Props, VESA. Now just make sure that DP 1.3 actually works as flawlessly as 1.2 should have, but sadly doesn't.
    "IT RUNS FINE???!?!?!! FINE!!! I'll GIVE YOU FINE." - whitespider

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What about DP doesn't work most of the time? Just using the catleap, I only use DVI

Just a higher frequency of reports than one would like about DP connections being buggy and losing signal. To be fair, I should not imply that this is in any direct way VESA's fault.

Sent from my tablet
    "IT RUNS FINE???!?!?!! FINE!!! I'll GIVE YOU FINE." - whitespider

Quote Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
    What about DP doesn't work most of the time? Just using the catleap, I only use DVI
    Been a while since I used displayport with my u2711, but from memory, when I turned the monitor off then back on, it would reset the dimensions and positioning of any open windows.

Is that bandwidth enough to do 4k 120hz without compression? Seems like my next monitor will be DP 1.3, AMD Freesync, 4k 120hz . Don't even care how long I have to wait!

Whether similar action being taken on the pixel clock side of things to take advantage of said bandwidth.

Visitors found this page by searching for

displayport 1.3

Displayport 1.3 release date

4k 3d monitor